Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blog 3, Prompt 5


I work weekly in a laundromat, which my family owns, in a prominently Latino section in Providence. Weekends at the laundromat are hysterical and slightly resemble a scene from My Big, Fat Greek Wedding. My retired father walks around and discusses politics with people, leaves for a three hour trip to “Home Depot” (aka- his bed for a siesta), and then returns to help people bring their laundry to the car. Family members breeze in and out, meeting other family members and playing catch up. But, truthfully, I love to talk with the customers the most. I see their kids grow up, they show my photos from their last trip back home, and bring me delicious baked goodies. The laundromat becomes a small community where opinions are shared and advice is given (even if you never asked for it).

A little girl, now in first grade, regularly comes with her mother on the weekends. She spends most of her time either following me or her mother around. Last time she was there, she picked up one of the picture books (printed in English) and asked me to read it to her. I asked her to read it to me because I was busy, and she responded that she could only read in Spanish- her school taught entirely in Spanish. You could hear a pin drop in there! Every single person was shocked to hear that she was being taught Spanish. But, why is she being taught Spanish? They don’t teach college in Spanish! How will she ever advance? After reading Goldenberg’s article about the research of the education of English Language Learners (ELL’s), I now realize that this is the right thing to do. The research overwhelmingly proves that children who master their first language are able to master their second language. Mastering both languages will make them not only fluently bilingual and billiterate, but will better prepare them for higher education. But, let’s be honest, I thought the same way everyone in that Laundromat did.

It’s probably a safe assumption that most monolingual English speaking Americans would think the Latinos in the laundromat would react differently, like high-fiving each other and saying “Absolutely! Teach the kids Spanish!” There seems to be a notion that Latinos want to speak only in Spanish, never learning English. Goldenberg also reports that the vast majority of ELL’s are American-born, but there is a public outcry about the education of “illegals” (read the comments sections of any online article about the subject). As a teacher, I will have to be sensitive to the fact that I will not know how a family feels about an issue (like this one) until we talk about it. They probably haven’t read any education journals (like me) so aren’t aware of any proven methodology for their children. I think the hardest part of communication will be to really listen to the parents and be able to gain their trust that everyone wants what is best for their child. Being clear is the only way that miscommunication can be prevented…no matter what language we’re speaking.

1 comment:

  1. Valerie,
    Your depiction of the Laundromat and its function for community members was very enlightening. I have always had the opportunity to have a washer and dryer at home. It was a privilege that I probably never gave a second thought to. If clothes were wet from the rain, I would throw them in the dryer. If they became stained or dirty, I could always wash them. Your response to Prompt 5 made me realize that I have never even been in a Laundromat. I also have no idea of what it would be like, to wait to have my clothes washed or dried.
    For years, I have taken my home, belongings, family and education for granted. Most importantly, the economic changes that have happen in society, have forced me to rethink things in my life. This course has also helped me to re-examine the social and cultural forces that affect the diverse cultures in America and in our schools. For example, should students who are learning English spend the school day in classes where only English is spoken? Or should they be taught reading and other academic skills in their native language? These are important questions and according to your blog, it appears that the community members were shocked to learn that the first grader, only read in Spanish and her school taught entirely in Spanish. In fact you were surprised yourself.
    According to Goldenberg’s article about the research on the education of English Language Learners, he agrees that it is feasible for children to be taught reading in their primary language. However, he also notes that adjustments or modifications will be necessary, probably for several years or at least for some students, until they reach sufficient familiarity with academic English to permit them to be successful in mainstream instruction.
    Teachers face many challenges when collaborating with the parents of students. Many parents are often concerned about their child’s education. Teachers need to explain the benefits of teaching techniques to parents, so that their fears can be alleviated. English Language Learners will need at some point, intensive oral English language development, especially vocabulary and academic English instruction. If parents are made to understand that learning to read in a native language is important in helping their child to learn English and that, English Language Learners also need academic content instruction, like all students do. They will then begin to understand that it is in addition to, not instead of, the instructions designed to promote English. As you noted, being clear with parents is the only way to avoid miscommunications.
    -Amanda L.

    ReplyDelete